What is gaslighting? Gaslighting is when an toxic individual tries to manipulate their victim to make them question their own memory & doubt the events that occurred. The abuser may use contradictions, misdirection & lying to try to change the way a person remembers an event or incident. They do this to avoid taking responsibility or to take control over you. Gaslighting is not easily recognizable, as a victim may think it is normal. If you suspect you are a victim of gaslighting, Here are 10 signs you are being gaslighted.
1. You are depressed, tired & constantly question yourself.
2. Anything you say will be used against you.
3. You lie to avoid conflict.
4. You stop trying to be heard.
5. The toxic individual will claim you have memory issues. He/she will deny they said or did something & say you just don’t remember.
6. You start to doubt your own beliefs & perceptions.
7. You start to think you are the crazy one.
8. You have low self-esteem.
9. You wonder if your too sensitive.
10. You think you do everything wrong, & wonder if you will ever be good enough.
What to do when you realize you are a victim of gaslighting? Do not confront the abuser, they will only deny it. Educate yourself on gaslighting so they can no longer manipulate you. Leave the conversation & walk away if you can. Try to get outside advice & always trust your intuition. ￼￼